A view from the front row seats of recent developments is surreal to those of us who grew up in the McDonald’s System.
An Undeniable Narrative: "Death of an industry-leading culture and legacy" via four years of policies, from “Partners and Collaboration, to Command and Control”, or, ”Your opinion doesn't have a home any longer!".
Who will lead? Who will tell the "rest of the story" and add up the list to reverse engineer the success of a 3-Legged Stool created by the pioneering Founders?
The final chapter of McDonald’s has been written as another sham corporate power grab. The most recent degrading management action:
The "Death of an Industry" leading corporate partnership culture, by removing major incentives of long-term equity, assurances of a long-term relationship and if you deliver, you grow without automatic built-in legal impediments:
The "Triggering Event" was a corporate announcement without Owner input, ending the historical legacy that set McDonald's apart.
McD's policy memo after four 4 years of build-up for the ultimate nuclear announcement.
The McPresUSA's memo was received without previous Owner input and without regard to recent events adding the Labor Recruitment & Retention Terminator known as PACE. (In spite of the worst labor environment in history). That is the PACE grading at the worst time, they are ending the original franchising agreement and philosophy of 60+ Years. Every Owner's Equity goes down without the understanding of a 2nd or 3rd 20-year lease, a given before.
Equity is the entire reason Owners believe in their retirement "payoff" after 20-40+ years of building the system so that they can sell one day after building their marketplace and respective restaurants. There are hidden messages to hurt Owners, yet most Owner Advocacy is without an action plan, or strategy and proliferates the message the current Owner Leaders are now wearing the jerseys of so many failed leaders before them.
The fact they are worn out, outmaneuvered by novice adversaries, intimidated beyond the imagination of adult business leaders, or complicit in various respective back door agreements to protect a senior management team that the McDonald’s Board should have made wholesale changes after the series of:
* Basic Foodservice Industry mistakes,
* Brand embarrassments of major corporations starting with both recent CEOs,
* Non-existent or incomplete material internal investigations (Easterbrook violations, CK multiple errors in judgment, and inability to express the brand values publicly)
* Incalculable damage to the brand through behaviors as above, business mistakes self-inflicted, mistreatment of corporate employees (series of legal actions and losses), Owner/Operators (immeasurable stories and the continuation of franchisee outbound flight setting records due to relationship mismanagement.
* Decisions that will light the last restaurant employee's torch for leaving the restaurants to others with less bureaucracy, ill-timed requirements, and grading (PACE) that has already lost the Owner’s best managers, supervisors, and upcoming stars…now flowing to competitors providing similar wages without the nightmare of a corporation lost in its own bureaucracy.